Sunday 3 April 2016

Ding, Dong, the B**ch is Dead

Well, scheduled surgery number two started out a lot like scheduled surgery number one. I arrived at HSC at 5:45 AM with my family, we checked in with admitting and then were brought up to the surgical prep area. I donned my wonderfully attractive gowns, compression socks, and booties and was basically at the same point I made it to last time. The nurse attempted to find a viable vein for my IV to be put into, but my veins were not cooperating this time around.  The nurse said she would leave it to the anesthesia nurse just so they had something they could work with. Then, much to my surprise since I was really half expecting surgery to be cancelled again, someone came to get me to take me to the pre-op area. In that area I met the anesthesiologist, the anesthesia nurse, one of the surgical residents who would be taking part in my surgery, and then I was left alone for a short while.

Suddenly, another nurse approached and introduced herself as the charge nurse for the OR. She mentioned that the hospital's network was down so they were not able to access my MRI or CT scan so my surgery was going to be delayed until the network issue was resolved. Apparently my surgery was the only one at that time that required diagnostic imaging as all the other patients gradually got rolled in to their respective ORs and I was left alone.

After about half an hour, Dr. Meen, the ENT came out and asked if I was starting to feel like they were cancelling on me again. I mentioned that it was starting to feel very familiar and he reassured me that the network was in the process of being fixed and they would be taking me in shortly.

In the meantime I had the anesthesia nurse searching for Rob to notify him that the surgery was delayed just so they wouldn't all be thinking that I had been taken in at 7:30. She returned to the pre-op area with Rob just after yet another nurse came to get me ready to take into the OR. This nurse jokingly told us that he could close his eyes if I wanted to give Rob a big smooch.

So, an hour behind schedule, I was finally brought into the OR. There were several people in the room but I had started to lose track of who everyone was at this point. They had me shimmy over to the operating table, covered me in some warm blankets, started explaining everything that I would experience prior to falling asleep, and how I would feel when I was in the post op area. Then they put a mask over my face, instructed me to take some deep breaths, and the last thing I remember was a sharp pain as the anesthetic went into my arm and saying "Ouch, that's unpleasant."

The next thing I recall was someone asking me if I was feeling any pain. All I could really feel was an intense pain in my nose (which I found out after was from all the packing they had shoved up there). I was apparently shaking pretty badly so they covered me in warm blankets and gave me some anti-anxiety medication through one of my IVs. They had given me two extra IVs plus a catheter while I was asleep in the OR so I had tubes coming out of everywhere.

The next two hours were spent in the recovery room.  It went by fairly quickly to me despite being asked the same questions over and over and over again...What is your name?  Where are we right now?  What's the date?  Can you squeeze my hands as hard as you can?  Lift your arms, close your eyes and hold them there. Lift your legs one as a time and hold them there. Resist against me pushing on your feet. Just stare at my nose while I shine this flashlight in your eyes...

My neuro-surgeon, Dr. Beiko, came to visit me at this time to see how I was feeling and to tell me that the surgery was very successful. He gave me a chance to ask any questions but I was still in a state where it was all I could do to remember what the damn date was so any questions I had for him were not present in my brain.

Once I was deemed stable enough, I was taken to the step-down unit where they could continue to monitor my blood pressure (I was at 150/80 when my resting BP is usually around 110/70 ish) and keep a close eye on my urine output. This might seem like a strange thing, but the pituitary gland produces something called anti-diuretic hormone and sometimes even just performing surgery close to the pituitary gland can cause a temporary or permanent imbalance in ADH.  Basically someone's body would not be able to determine the best fluid balances and too much urine would be produced in conjunction with an extreme thirst, yet they would still be dehydrated.

This is turning into a much longer post than anticipated, so I will end this here and continue the next part about my road to recovery.  Part One:  Hospital Food and Pig Noses are the Worst (complete with photos!)

Thanks to everyone for following my journey so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment