Thursday 2 June 2016

Nasal Suctioning Is Seriously Unpleasant

I ended up having four follow-up appointments in the span of a week back in early May (I have been busy adjusting to going back to real life so my update is delayed).  The first one was with the ENT.  I didn't really know what to expect from this appointment.  I assumed they would shove a camera up my nose again to see what was going on in my sinuses.  I was not expecting what really happened.  I was taken into a room where I sat in a chair and suddenly a woman who barely took the time to introduce herself as a resident had me inverted in this chair with a scope and suction tube up my nose to deal with the crusting going on up there.  She did the majority of the work, but there was a section that I guess was being particularly difficult so she went to get Dr. Meen to deal with it.  All the while I was laying there with tears pouring down my face (mostly an involuntary reaction to having all of this happening up my nose).

After Dr. Meen completed his work - which included clipping and cauterizing on top of suctioning - he looked down at me and realized I was not doing so well.  Keep in mind that I hadn't eaten solid food in almost a week at this point due to my esophagitis and gastritis issues.  Apparently I was very white.  After they wrapped my neck and face with cold cloths, he asked if I was okay.  Anybody who knows me would know that this is the worst thing you can ask when I am upset/hurt/traumatized.  All I could do was start sobbing.  At that point, Dr. Meen asked if the work they had done was really that bad and my mom had to explain to him that I had been having GI issues and hadn't eaten much all week.  After I calmed down, we had a discussion about this and he suggested I mention it to my endocrinologist in case it was something related to my hormones and he hoped I felt better soon.

The next week, I saw the neuro-ophthalmogist (Dr. Mansouri), the endocrinologist (Dr. Ludwig), and the neuro-surgeon (Dr. Beiko) in one day.  My appointments with Dr. Mansouri and Dr. Ludwig were pretty uneventful (Summed up as: Have I seen you before?  Why did you decide to go ahead with the surgery? You're having some issues?  Well your vision/hormones are fine so I guess we will see you again in a couple months).  It is a relief that I am doing okay in those regards, however I felt quickly dismissed in both of those appointments.

My appointment with Dr. Beiko was the one where I received the most information.  The pathology came back for the tumour and it is definitely a pituitary adenoma (aka benign) which had a small cluster of prolactinoma cells (which explained my slightly elevated prolactin levels).  Apparently my adenoma was slightly more aggressive than a typical adenoma (damn-it Priscilla!).  Dr. Beiko said that if a normal adenoma had a proliferation rate - or rate of cell division - of 8% then mine would have been 10% so there's a slightly greater chance of it coming back one day.  Due to this, he recommended that if I want to have children, I should probably do that within the next couple of years because high prolactin levels can affect fertility and also because each time surgery/radiation is done (which will be my treatment options in the future), there's a chance my hormones will be affected. 

Dr. Beiko also said that I never  have to see him again unless Priscilla comes back.  So fingers crossed that I'm done with her forever. 

My next scheduled MRI is August 8 so we will have a better idea after that of how successful the surgery was.  This will be the last update that I share on Facebook for awhile, so thank you so much to everyone who has continued to follow my story and wish me well.  I appreciate it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment